Bucs slip up more than once
The St.Petersburg Times, published 26 October 1981

Philadelphia running back, Wilbert Montgomery, aka The Tough Cookie, caused Tampa Bay's defense to crumble like never before this season. What Montgomery did, much healthier Walter Payton, Ottis Anderson and Billy Sims could not.

"I never counted on him not coming back," said defensive end Lee Roy Selmon, one of many Montgomery admirers in the visitors' locker room at Veterans Stadium.

The Bucs completed their series with the Super Bowl XV contestants at 0-2 and splashed down at 4-4 overall. They lost no ground to Minnesota (5-3) a decisive loser to St. Louis, but was joined by Detroit in second place in the NFC Central Division. "We played two Super Bowl teams back-to-back,' Williams said, "and we played them very well at times."

There were vast differences in the two games, beginning almost with the opening kickoff. At Oakland, the Bucs twiddled their taped thumbs for 2Y2 quarters before securing a first down; at Philadelphia, they chalked one up on the fourth play from scrimmage on Williams' 33- yard toss to Giles.

Giles' catch, his 117th as a Buc, snatched the team record from Morris Owens. It also helped Tampa Bay to snatch an early lead. Williams completed another pass with an Eagle hanging on him like an ornament from a Christmas tree, and Williams' sneak from inside the 1- yard line made it 7-0.

There somehow it remained. Capece was 3-for-4 on the year, not counting the block in the final seconds that preserved Oakland's 18-16 win last week. It was a play that induced a letter-writer to inform Capece that he smashed his finger on a table out of frustration. The Buc fan wanted Capece to pay the medical bills.

The fan may have a few more sore digits today. Capece was spraying his kicks wide against the Eagles. He came up empty-footed after: Mike Washington read a pass to Harold Carmichael as if he had bugged the Eagles' huddle and intercepted Jaworski deep in Philly territory and Norris Thomas torpedoed Carmichael and forced a fumble that was recovered by Colzie at the Eagle 40;

A hurry-up drive in the last minute of the first half got Capece to within 49 yards. Capece offered no reasons or excuses for the worst half of kicking in his life. "It was just one of those games for me," he said.

Aware that the Bucs have never been hesitant to change kickers, Capece added, "If I'm here next week, fine. If I'm not, I'll just try again. I'm only 22 years old. "When we got the bull by the horns, we've got to throw him over on his back," said offensive tackle Charley Hannah. Instead, the Bucs were gored, mainly by scatter- footed field goal kicker Bill Capece.

The rookie from Florida State, a straight-shooter for previous four games after replacing Garo Yepremian, missed from 41, 44 and 49 yards in a half utterly ruled by the Bucs. That was not the only critical loss of footing. A slip by Buc safety Neal Colzie on the soaked turf enabled the Eagles to hit a long pass and get within range of the barefoot placekicker Tony Franklin, whose field goal with 4:18 left untwisted a 10-10 tie.